What’s a virus?
Viruses are technically not living organisms, but protein molecules (DNA) covered by a protective layer fat. When absorbed by the cells of the inside of your mouth, eyes, or nose, change their genetic code (mutate) and convert them into aggressors and multiplier cells. Because a virus is not a living organism it is not “killed” but rather decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material on which it lies.
While the virus is attached to a surface, it is inert and disintegrates in time, depending on the type of surface (ranging from 3 hours on fabric to 72 hours on plastic). However, if disturbed (i.e shaking using a feather duster) you risk making the virus molecules airborne for up to 3 hours at which point it can potentially enter your nose and mouth.
Virus molecules remain stable in cold environments such as outdoors (winter), air-conditioned houses and cars. They also require moisture and dark places to stay stable. Dehumidified, dry, hot and bright environments will degrade a virus faster. The virus does not penetrate healthy skin. Provided that you do not touch your face and wash your skin thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap, your risk of contracting the virus is minimized
The virus is very fragile because it’s only protected by a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best method to disintegrate it, as the foam breaks down the fat (to make the soap foam adequately, you need to rub your hands together for 20 seconds or more). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
UVC light breaks down the virus protein on contact. However, UVC light is extremely dangerous to humans. UVC light will destroy most viruses instantly but it will also burn human skin in seconds.
What doesn’t work
- Antibacterial (antibiotics or bactericides) solutions DO NOT work because viruses are not living things.
- Alcoholic beverages will not work. The ABV (alcohol by volume) in even the strongest drinking spirits is lower than 70%.
- Vinegar is not useful against the virus as it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
- NEVER mix ammonia or ammonia products with bleach. This may release toxic gases that may be harmful or fatal.